Today at WooKyung Kindergarten we attended a Samgyupsal party. Samgyupsal is pork belly that is cut into strips that look like bacon, except it is not smoked or seasoned. We had no idea what to expect, but in asking several folks we gathered it is kind of like a barbecue picnic. To that end, we brought standard US BBQ-type stuff--hot dogs.
I'm not even going to try and explain this event in detail. I'll let the pictures do most of the explaining. The basic premise is this: the men cook the samgyupsal in the little grills. Everyone else (the ladies and kids) eat it communally. You can eat it with an assortment of kimchis and tasty sauces. I shared the hot dogs with everyone, and Lorri brought a tray of brownies (the first food item to disappear). My favorite cross-cultural improv--pan-fried kimchi over a hot dog.


What I like most about Korean food (and this feast in particular) is the US Deficit-sized number of food combinations available. A little of this, a dab of that, some of this over there... Amazing. My favorite is how the garlic and hot pepper ooze out your pores for the rest of the day.
ReplyDelete