Monday, September 7, 2009

ROKing the DMZ

On Saturday, Sam and I took a bus up North to the DMZ.  I'll be honest, some of the stops were lame and very Touristy.  In fact, I'd say the only stop that was really worth the money we paid was the trip to Panmunjom.



This picture tells the story of modern Korea better than I can express.






A few pictures from the drive along the river, still well within the ROK.  The fortifications begin almost in Seoul and get stronger the further north you drive.  I recall seeing similar fortifications along the coast in June when we went to Sorak.


A view of North Korea.  The visibility stank that day.  We were 2km away at the time of this photo.

I felt this was a significant development in North/South relations.

The last stop on the line (for now)--Dorasan Station.  In theory, someday you will be able to continue north.  Not at the moment, though.






Last chance for photos until inside the JSA.  For security reasons we can not take photos while on the 2km drive through the DMZ from Camp Bonifas to the Joint Security Area, aka Panmunjeom.  Wouldn't want you to see the mine fields, fences, razor wire and tank traps that stretch unbroken for over 150 miles, from coast to coast.  Click here to learn more about who this camp was named for.



ROK Army guards in the JSA.  The concrete at the bottom of the picture is the Military Demarcation Line.  The dirt side is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the gravel is the Republic of Korea.  Note that the picture was taken from the North looking South.  The building the picture was taken in is the same building the armistice was signed in back in 1953. 



Supposedly, if you get too close, the ROK guard will kick your ass.  I chose not to test this.  Interesting note--when the ROK JSA guards walk around, they make TONS of noise.  Apparently they put ball bearings in the bottom of their trousers.  The bearings make all kinds of noise.  The reason for this is to create the aural illusion of superiority in numbers--they sound like more troops than they are.  Or so we were told.  The sunglasses are for intimidation only.



The big building is in North Korea.  The blue ones are United Nations buildings.  We were in the one on the left.  You can see the "border" between the blue buildings.  If you look closely you will see a guard outside on the bottom level.  He is the only North Korean I have ever seen.



Those crafty North Koreans have dug several tunnels under the DMZ, looking to infiltrate into the South.  This is the 3rd tunnel that was discovered.  The North claimed it was a coal mining tunnel.  All they found was solid granite before they were discovered.  Oh, I don't know where this picture is from.  You are not allowed to take pictures in the tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment