Saturday, June 6, 2009

Yucca Root Pancakes

As you may know, we allow the kids to pick out any fruit or vegetable when they come with us to the commissary.  This helps to lessen the begging for all sorts of junk stuff.  Ethan often gets lemons, sometimes we get a certain apple...but Jacob likes to throw a curve ball every now and then--So he recently selected yucca root for his vegetable.  Thank goodness for the internet.  You may have followed some discussion of this event on facebook, but I am posting some photos here for your viewing pleasure.



I won't say what I think this looks like.  I'll leave that to your imagination.


Just like peeling a potato...maybe a bit more challenging.  There was a waxy coating on it.  


The dough.  I boiled the cubed root for a long time.  I think I should have gone a bit longer even.  Then added egg, S&P, sugar and a bit of flour.



Cooking in the pan...


The Finished Product.   Served with a pat of butter, according to the recipe.  Kevin thought they tasted like moth balls.  He didn't enjoy them at all.  Jacob ate most of his.  The other 3 didn't touch it.  I thought they were o.k.  I wouldn't have midnight cravings for them, but it was fun to try.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorri you at least make it look yummy. They look kind of like the fried potato cakes we do around here with left over mashed potatos. I love reading your updates thanks for keeping us all in the loop of what you all are experiencing over there. May God continue to bless you all with wonderful experiences and memories that make you (and us) smile.

    ReplyDelete